There are so many beautiful waterfalls in the mountains of Western North Carolina! Me and Dad love having waterfall adventures here:
- Hooker Falls - this has been our go-to waterfall for many years. A short hike and lot of fun. There is also a place where you can go behind the waterfall and a place where you can jump off of the waterfall, but not recommended.
- Looking Glass Falls - easy to get to and a great swimming hole. See our video there.
- Triple Falls - no swimming, but a great place to hike, and plus you can see where a part of the Hunger Games was filmed.
- Catawba Falls - a nice hike that is over a mile with so many small waterfalls on the way. See our hiking video to the falls.
- 2-5 hours
There are many great places to go camping in the mountains of Western North Carolina! We love to camp and even took a camping trip to the beach not too long ago. Here are some spots to check out:
- Catawba Falls Campground - we went camping here right before we went hiking to see the waterfall at Catawba Falls. Such a great spot with RV sites, cabins, and tent sites.
- Lake Powhatan - a great place to camp with so many outdoor activities to do.
- KOA Candler - another great camping spot on the west side of town.
- KOA Swannanoa - Nana loved going to this spot because they have a pool!
- 1-2 days
There are many great lakes in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are so much fun.
- Lake Lure - North Carolina
- Lake Louise - Weaverville North Carolina
- Lake Julian - South Asheville / Skyland
- Lake Powhatan - West Asheville
- Lake James - Nebo NC
- Lake Tomahawk - Black Mountain
- Fontana Lake - North Carolina
- 2-5 hours
There are several great beaches in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are so much fun. Here's a great list to get you started on your next adventure:
- Lake Powhatan - me and Dad visit this lake beach regularly. They have swimming, fishing, hiking, biking, a waterfall, and lots of nature.
- Lake Lure - this beach is one of a kind when it comes to mountain beaches. They have a small waterpark and a small town area around the lake. We also bumped into some people fishing with their feet for fresh water clams at the deep end of the swimming area.
- Lake James - we love traveling to this lake to meet friends for the day. It's a great mountain beach with lots of water spots including SUP boards, boats, and more.
- Lake Fontana - in the finger-lakes section of this lake, there is a beach. If you rent a pontoon boat like we did, you can find a bunch of small beach areas along the lakeside.
- Wildcat Lake - we have not been here yet, but it is on our list!
- Lake Glenville - this is another mountain beach that we have not experienced, but we are heading that way soon!
- 2-5 hours
The are so many great spots to go boating in the mountains of Western North Carolina. We recently went to Fontana Lake and it was so wonderful. Here's a list of lakes and rivers that you can go boating on in Asheville and beyond.
- Lake Fontana -
- Lake James -
- Lake Julian -
- Lake Lure -
- 1-6 hours