There are so many beautiful waterfalls in the mountains of Western North Carolina! Me and Dad love having waterfall adventures here:
- Hooker Falls - this has been our go-to waterfall for many years. A short hike and lot of fun. There is also a place where you can go behind the waterfall and a place where you can jump off of the waterfall, but not recommended.
- Looking Glass Falls - easy to get to and a great swimming hole. See our video there.
- Triple Falls - no swimming, but a great place to hike, and plus you can see where a part of the Hunger Games was filmed.
- Catawba Falls - a nice hike that is over a mile with so many small waterfalls on the way. See our hiking video to the falls.
There are many great places to go camping in the mountains of Western North Carolina! We love to camp and even took a camping trip to the beach not too long ago. Here are some spots to check out:
- Catawba Falls Campground - we went camping here right before we went hiking to see the waterfall at Catawba Falls. Such a great spot with RV sites, cabins, and tent sites.
- Lake Powhatan - a great place to camp with so many outdoor activities to do.
- KOA Candler - another great camping spot on the west side of town.
- KOA Swannanoa - Nana loved going to this spot because they have a pool!
There are many great lakes in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are so much fun.
There are several great beaches in the mountains of Western North Carolina that are so much fun. Here's a great list to get you started on your next adventure:
- Lake Powhatan - me and Dad visit this lake beach regularly. They have swimming, fishing, hiking, biking, a waterfall, and lots of nature.
- Lake Lure - this beach is one of a kind when it comes to mountain beaches. They have a small waterpark and a small town area around the lake. We also bumped into some people fishing with their feet for fresh water clams at the deep end of the swimming area.
- Lake James - we love traveling to this lake to meet friends for the day. It's a great mountain beach with lots of water spots including SUP boards, boats, and more.
- Lake Fontana - in the finger-lakes section of this lake, there is a beach. If you rent a pontoon boat like we did, you can find a bunch of small beach areas along the lakeside.
- Wildcat Lake - we have not been here yet, but it is on our list!
- Lake Glenville - this is another mountain beach that we have not experienced, but we are heading that way soon!